- Usually not visible or pinpoint at 24 hours.
- Grows slowly on most standard lab media including SBA, CHOC and TSA. Grows on Martin-Lewis and Thayer-Martin agars.
- After 48 hours, appears translucent, pinpoint and smooth.
- Non-hemolytic on SBA.
- Some strains can grow on MAC.
- Faintly staining Gram-negative coccobacillus appearing as single cells.
- Cells are typically larger than those of F. tularensis.
Oxidase Positive (B. canis is variable)
Urease Positive (Strong, some within 5 min to 2 hrs)