Bioterrorism - Agents of Concern
F. tularensis on CHAB @ 48hrs (PHIL)
- Poor growth on sheep blood agar.
- Growth on chocolate, Thayer-Martin, and horse blood agar: 1-3 mm, gray-white to bluish-gray with a smooth flat surface at 48-72 hrs.
- Ability to grow on sheep blood agar diminishes after sub-culturing.
- Does not grow on MacConkey or EMB agar.
F. tularensis on Horse Blood Agar @48 hrs (NCSLPH)
F. tularensis on Sheep Blood Agar @48 hrs (NCSLPH)
- Faintly staining, very tiny Gram-negative coccobacillus, most appear as single cells.
- Cells appear smaller than those of Brucella spp.
Any sample that cannot be ruled out by these methods should be forwarded to the NCSLPH.
SLPH Bioterrorism Information