Bioterrorism - Agents of Concern
- Grows well on most non-selective standard lab media.
- Pinpoint gray/white, non-hemolytic at 24 hours. Typical enteric colony growth by 48 hours. After 48 hours appears gray/white and yellow with a "fried egg" appearance.
- Appears as small non-lactose fermenting colonies on MacConkey agar.
- In enriched broth such as BHI, undisturbed growth appears flocculent.
Y. pestis on Horse Blood Agar @48 hrs
Y. pestis on Horse Blood Agar @72 hrs
Y. pestis on Sheep Blood Agar @48 hrs
Y. pestis on MacConkey Blood Agar @72 hrs
- Plump gram negative rod.
- Commonly displays bipolar staining resembling safety pins.
Non-Motile at Room Temperature
Any sample that cannot be ruled out by these methods should be forwarded to the NCSLPH.
SLPH Bioterrorism Information