Laboratory Improvement: Overview
Importance of Laboratory Improvement Unit
The Laboratory Improvement (LI) Unit supports laboratorians in achieving and maintaining high standards of laboratory practice through effective consultation and the delivery of comprehensive and relevant training while striving to serve as a model for other training units. The objectives of the LI Unit are as follows:
- Provide consultation and leadership to laboratories, state agencies, and other states.
- Ensure regulatory compliance and provide technical services for CLIA contract counties.
- Develop and make available continuing education opportunities and resources.
- Serve as an advocate for laboratorians.
- Maintain and distribute microbiological cultures.
- Perform quality control on gonorrhea selective media.
Overview of Laboratory Improvement Unit
The LI Unit is staffed by seven full time employees in the Raleigh area and four regional laboratory consultants based throughout the state. The unit provides:
- Technical workshops on a variety of clinical and environmental topics
- Online self-study programs
- Live webinars
- Coordination of continuing education opportunities for internal staff members
- Technical support for local health department laboratories to ensure compliance with CLIA federal regulations and established standards.
2013 Training Statistics
|Format||Number Presented||*Number Participants||Continuing Education Units Provided|
* Participants represented the following types of organizations:
- State Laboratory and other state government agencies
- Local health departments
- Hospital laboratories
- Physician office laboratories
- Environmental laboratories
- Reference laboratories